Military/Overseas Voting

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) is a federal law that ensures military and citizens living oversees are able to register and vote in federal elections. Military and overseas voters have an extended time frame and convenient options to receive and return a ballot.

Who is a UOCAVA voter?

You should register as a UOCAVA voter if you are a U.S. citizen, age 18 years of age or older by the next election, and one of the following:

Military Electors

  • A service member in any branch of the uniformed services and their spouses and/or dependents who are absent from the state because of a service member’s active duty.
  • Active and reserve components of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard, active components of the National Guard, as well as the Merchant Marines.
  • Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the U.S. Public Health Service.

Overseas Electors

  • U.S. citizens who are living overseas, and whose last residence before leaving the country was in Colorado.
  • U.S. citizens who were born outside the U.S. whose parent or legal guardian is eligible to register and vote in Colorado.
What are the benefits for UOCAVA voters?

Ballots are sent to UOCAVA voters 45 days before an election so that they have ample time to receive and return their ballot from out-of-state or abroad. (Meanwhile, ballots are mailed to eligible voters living in Colorado just 22 days before an election.)

UOCAVA voters also enjoy the option to receive and return their ballot by mail, email or fax in county, state and federal elections. (Please note: there is no option to vote by email in municipal elections.) Meanwhile, voters inside Colorado may only return a ballot by mail or to a ballot box, or vote in-person.

UOCAVA voters must still mail or transmit a ballot by 7 p.m. MST on Election Day, but if mailed, the ballot may be received by the County Clerk up to the close of business (5 p.m. MST) on the eighth day after Election Day and still be counted.

How do I register to vote as a UOCAVA voter?

If you have a Colorado Driver’s License or ID Card, please go online to to register to vote and/or add UOCAVA voter status.

If not, please complete the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) online or download and print the fillable PDF version and return it to the Arapahoe County Clerk to register as a UOCAVA voter. We encourage overseas and military voters to to submit a new FPCA every year and when you move. Return the form by mail, fax or email to:

Arapahoe County Elections
5334 S. Prince St., Littleton CO 80120
Fax: 303-795-4712

What are the dates of the November 2017 Coordinated Election for UOCAVA voters?
  • Saturday, Sept. 23 – Ballots will be sent to active registered military and overseas voters who are registered as UOCAVA voters.
  • Tuesday, Nov. 7 – Coordinated Election Day. UOCAVA ballot must be mailed or transmitted via fax/email to the Arapahoe County Clerk by 7 p.m. MT to be counted.
  • Wednesday, Nov. 15, 5 p.m. – Deadline for ballots cast by military and overseas electors to be received by the County Clerk in order to be counted. (By law, UOCAVA ballots must received no later than the close of business on the 8th day after Election Day.)
How will I receive my ballot?

UOCAVA voters may receive and return a ballot by mail, fax or email.

Mail Ballot: Arapahoe County mails a ballot to every eligible UOCAVA voter at their registered mailing address. If you vote and return your mail ballot, it must be mailed by Election Day and received by the County Clerk’s Office no later than the eighth day after the election to be counted.

Email Ballot: If you request an email ballot when you register to vote, you will receive an email from EveryOne Counts with a secure and unique link to your ballot. Download and print the ballot on 8.5 x 11-inch paper. Vote the ballot and return it by mail, fax or email. To return a ballot by email, scan it as a PDF and attach it to an email to the County. (Email is not available for municipal elections.) 

Fax Ballot: If you would like to receive a ballot by fax, be sure to provide a complete fax number, including the international prefix and country code on your Federal Post Card Application. Your ballot will be faxed to you with a cover sheet and unique coded ballot on 8.5 x 11-inch paper. Vote the ballot and return it by mail, fax or email.Note: If you choose to return your voted ballot by fax or email, you must voluntarily waive your right to a secret ballot.

We will count only the first ballot that we receive back from a voter. Note: If you return your voted ballot by fax or email, you voluntarily waive your right to a secret ballot.

How do I request a replacement ballot?

If you make a mistake, damage or lose your ballot, or if you have not received a ballot two weeks before an election, please contact us at 303-795-4511 or to request a replacement ballot be sent to you via mail, email or fax. You can also download a replacement ballot at When a replacement ballot is issued, we will void your original ballot.

You may also vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB), a write-in back-up ballot that can be completed for any federal, state, and local races and issues for which you are eligible to vote. The FWAB form can be found online at or may be requested from your unit voting assistance officer.

To be eligible to use the FWAB, you must:

  • Be absent from your voting residence;
  • Have requested a ballot for the upcoming election; and
  • Not have received your ballot.
How do I withdraw my UOCAVA status?

If you have separated from active duty or no longer have a residence in Arapahoe County or in Colorado, please update your voter registration or withdraw from UOCAVA status at Click on “Find My Registration”  to update your record.

Additional Resources
Please contact our Elections Division at 303-795-4511 or with any questions.