Skip to main content

Military and Overseas Voters

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act is a federal law that ensures military and citizens living overseas are able to register and vote in federal elections. Military and overseas voters have an extended timeframe and convenient options to receive and return a ballot.

Smiling female officer in uniform

Military Electors

  • A service member in any branch of the uniformed services and their spouses and/or dependents who are absent from the state because of a service member’s active duty.
  • Active and reserve components of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard, as well as active components of the National Guard and Merchant Marines.
  • Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the U.S. Public Health Service.
Three children of Solomon Islands stand next to U.S. male citizen

Overseas Electors

  • U.S. citizens who are living overseas, and whose last residence before leaving the country was in Colorado.
  • U.S. citizens who were born outside the U.S. whose parent or legal guardian is eligible to register and vote in Colorado.

How to Vote as a UOCAVA Voter

Military and overseas voters have an extended timeframe and convenient options to vote. Once registered as a UOCAVA voter, you may receive and return a ballot by mail, fax or email. We will count only the first ballot that we receive.

Register to Vote as UOCAVA

If you have a Colorado Driver’s License or ID Card, please go online to to register to vote and/or add UOCAVA voter status.

If not, please complete the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) online or download and print the fillable PDF version and return it to Arapahoe County. We encourage overseas and military voters to to submit a new FPCA every year, and when you move. If you wish to receive your ballot by email or fax, please be sure to provide a complete email address or fax number, including the international prefix and country code. 

Return the form by mail, fax or email to:

Arapahoe County Elections
5334 S. Prince St., Littleton CO 80120
Fax: 303-795-4712

Mail Ballot

Arapahoe County will automatically mail a ballot to every eligible UOCAVA voter at your registered mailing address in every election. Ballots will be mailed by May 12 to eligible military and overseas voters for the 2018 Primary Election. 

Mail back your voted ballot in the provided envelope by Election Day, June 26. No postage is necessary if you use the Official Return Envelope provided with your mail ballot. If you use a different envelope, please affix adequate postage.

As a UOCAVA voter, your ballot must be received by the Arapahoe County Clerk’s Office by July 5, the eighth day after Election Day, in order to be counted.

You also may request an electronic ballot when you register to vote as a UOCAVA voter.

You will receive an email from EveryOne Counts with a secure link to your unique ballot. Electronic ballots will be transmitted to eligible military and overseas voters beginning May 12 for the 2018 Primary Election.

Download and print the ballot on 8.5 x 11-inch paper. Vote the ballot. Return the ballot by mail, fax or email to:

Arapahoe County Elections
5334 S. Prince St., Littleton CO 80120
Fax to: 303-795-4712
Email as a PDF attachment to:

If you return your ballot by email or fax, it must be transmitted by 7 p.m. MT on Election Day, June 26, and you voluntarily waive your right to a secret ballot. 

Replacement Ballot

If you make a mistake, damage or lose your ballot, or if you have not received a ballot by two (2) weeks before an election, please download a replacement ballot at

You may also call us at 303-795-4511 or email to request a replacement ballot be sent to you via mail, email or fax. When a replacement ballot is issued, we will void your original ballot. You may then return your replacement ballot by email, fax or mail.

As an alternative, you may vote using the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot. This is a back-up ballot that can be used for any federal, state, and local races and issues for which you are eligible to vote. To be eligible to use the FWAB, you must:

  • Be absent from your voting residence;
  • Have requested a ballot for the upcoming election; and
  • Not have received your ballot.
Air Force airman hugs his daughter

Update or Withdraw UOCAVA Status

If you have relocated, separated from active duty, or if you no longer have a residence in Arapahoe County or in Colorado, please update your voter registration or withdraw from UOCAVA status at

Since voting materials are sent as non-forwardable postal materials, it is important for you to provide your new address after every move.